Alfred Forum Username
Effective Editing and Proofreading Techniques for You to Try
The editing and proofreading process comes after reviewing your essay writing service for the macro structures such as the larger structure, coherence, and unity. By the time the review is done, you should only have to look for the sentence level mistakes and optimize them.
Difference between reviewing, editing, and proofreading.
Reviewing process concerns itself with:
- Coming up with the optimal organization of the information
- Making sure that your ideas have a good flow and are coherent
- Ensuring that each paragraph maintains a unity
- Making sure that the thesis statement answers the essay promptly.
- Checking if the evidence supports the arguments or not
- Ensuring that the right academic style is followed in the writing.
- Seeing if you have taken into consideration every possible counter-argument.
- If you are a beginner essay writer then you can always consult a essay writer to assist you with the essay proofreading and editing. Make sure that the editing process comes prior to the proofreading process as the changes made while editing the essay need to be proofread too.
The editing process revolves around getting the sentences right— focusing on the micro-level. During the editing phase, you should check the sentences for:
- The use of the active voice and the passive only when needed.
- The correct word choice and to remove deadweight words and phrases.
- Variety in sentence structure to make sure that the sentences don’t follow a similar structure, rendering the essay monotonous.
- Using the right formal tone with the specialized vocabulary.
- Make sure that tone used is impersonal and the writing is gender-inclusive.
- Make sure the intext citations and references are correctly used, and the writing follows the correct formatting style (APA, MLA, Harvard, etc.)
The proofreading process should come at last and should check the grammar and punctuation before finally moving onto checking the spelling.
- Check for the mistakes in the grammar.
- Make sure correct punctuations are employed and insert punctuations where you think it can assist the reader.
- Check the spelling of each term.
Editing and Proofreading techniques to follow
Have a professional editor check your essay
If you have access to a professional editor, you should seek help from him/her. The assessment made by the editor will tell you where you go wrong in the essay and how you can correct your mistakes next time around. Using outside help to edit your essay doesn’t come under academic fraud as long as they help you correct your writing, and not correct them on their own.
Color coding the sentences
The naked eye can’t see if you have used the right variety of sentences. The best way to check the sentence variety is to highlight the different sentences using different color codes. You can use different colored highlighters or you can use the same pointer and use circles, underlines, and brackets to separate the simple, complex, and compound sentences.
Reading the essay backward
Reading the essay backward and that too slowly will get rid of the essay familiarity and help you take each word on its own. This is the best way to check for the spelling of the sentences.
Use a reference management software
There is various online software such as Mendeley, Zotero, and more that can manage your references for you and get you free of managing such information on paper, more so as the reference formats can be hard to write my essay at times.
These software products allow you to generate in-text citations and create a bibliography at the end of the essay.
Use online editors
To proofread your essay you can also make use of online editors and proofreading software that can provide you adequate editing and proofreading services in the free versions.
1 month 1 week ago